BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

After It's Gone, Then What?

Y'all are going to get tired of me talking about Black people; shoot, I know someone of you probably think I hate being Black, but you are far from the truth. I love being Black and that's all I  know, and when I see a problem, I'm going to speak on it, so here goes...
It seems that we as Black people in particular measure success in the physical things we obtain; from that new Mercedes, to that new Louis Vuitton handbag or even the new pair of shoes that we spent two paychecks on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things, and when I finish paying off some major bills in my life and getting myself on a path that I can enjoy, I plan to indulge in some of the finer things in life as well. But all of that is just things, stuff; what happens when at the end of the day it isn't new anymore, someone hit your new car, that Coach scarf is last season, those Gucci shades are scratched up and you broke the heel on that nice pair of shoes, then what? Will you still be able to brag about what you've done or what you have achieved if it is no longer new an the attention you got from it fades? There is nothing wrong with extolling your own virtues and greatness, but honestly greatness speaks for itself. Martin Luther King Jr.  didn't have to talk about how wonderful he was, his actions represented that. Harriet Tubman didn't brag about the success of the Underground Railroad, she let the freed slaves tell it like it was! It seems to me that people that constantly brag about what they have going for them really don't have anything of worth really going at all; when you have to brag and shove at people what you do, that's an insecurity issues that needs to be resolved and done so with the quickness. Buying things to prove to others that you are successful will only leave you broke and still seeking acceptance. And all those friends that come around for the free stuff and what you can do for them will leave you as quickly as that last dollar you spent. Honestly, until you start using your "stuff" to reach out and touch someone else's life and truly make a difference, you are just as broke as the people you look down on. Yeah you may have bought that $100 pair of shoes or might have been the first one on your block to purchase that new whip, but true success comes from how you touch the lives and impact others. Attempting to bring me down by blinding me with your bling or boring me with the tales of what you did and how you did it mean nothing if it was only for your own personal good and gain. Until your greatness and success begins to speak of itself without you having to bribe people with free drinks, trinkets, club entry or rides in the new car, keep the bragging to a minimum; your noise is drowning out real people doing real things and make a real difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment